Vardzia – Cliff Monastery Ensemble, is the XII-XIII century Georgian cultural monument. Located in the historical Javakheti, the Aspindza region, which is 300 km from Tbilisi. Vardzia is located on the left bank of the river Mtkvari, 1300 meters above sea level. Vardzia’s extreme upper cave is at 1462 m above sea level.
The construction of the fortress began with King George III in the 12th century and was finally finished by his daughter King Tamar, (the only female monarch of Georgia, owning the title of King rather than a Queen). She changed the original purpose of the construction, from the military fortress and presented it as a huge fortified monastery complex. There are 15 churches in the Vardzia complex. Some of the noblest historical figures presented with the icons on the walls of the churches. Those remarkable people are King George III, Tamar king, and others. Both the private tours and group tours are available to Vardzia, at almost any period of the year.